Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Bittersweet

Today was my baby's birthday. Elizabeth turned four years old. It was a fun day for her. She got a big-girl bicycle. Her PawPaw came over and gave her an Ariel doll and some princess dress-up things. And we went to Carreta's, our favorite Mexican restaurant with Mike's brother, Steve, and his family, Rachel, Hunter and Reece, and Mike's oldest brother, Jay.
It's hard to believe my baby is FOUR years old already! It really seems like yesterday that I found out I was pregnant with her. She's brought so much joy to our lives. I'm so thankful for her. And even though it's hard to watch your children grow up so fast, it's so exciting to see them mature into independent little "people". Elizabeth was so happy today and excited about everything that was going on. It was her request to go to Carreta's for dinner, which of course, we were thrilled with. We love that place. And to even add more fun to the night, they had the "band" playing and singing..very festive. Everyone was having a good time.. talking, laughing, the kids were playing and dancing in front of the band. Then right in the midst of it all, Elizabeth turned to me and said "I wish Gram could be here to see this." Just like that...right in the middle of so much joy and happiness, my world just stopped as my eyes welled with tears... the thought of my four year old child thinking of her Gram during a happy moment in her day..her birthday dinner. Some of you know, and some may not, that my mother-in-law passed away a few weeks ago. It's been hard for Elizabeth to deal with her death. She talks about her often. And asks a lot of questions. I'm not sure that she fully understands exactly what has happened. All she knows is that her Gram isn't here anymore. And that she can't see her anymore. She misses her so much. So do I. So does everyone. She was such a wonderful, happy, funny, charismatic woman. Everyone who met her instantly liked her and she was loved by many. Our days just aren't the same without her in them. I will miss her humor, her great cooking, her quick wit, her sarcasm, our shopping trips.. that woman loved to shop more than anyone. And she couldn't wait to make Elizabeth a mall rat. She was the anchor for our family and there will always be a void in our family gatherings and holidays. She just brought so much life to the party and we will miss her so. I love you, Dee. And I miss you.. we all do.

I'm sorry to make such a solemn post. It didn't really go in the direction that I intended. But it was just weighing heavy on my heart. Hope you don't mind. I guess this is what blogging is really about anyway, right?
Elizabeth's birthday party will be this Saturday. So the next few days will be pretty busy with the last of the party plans, but I will post pictures from tonight and of the birthday party next week. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

3 comments:

annieck said...

Happy birthday, Elizabeth!!!
Four was the hardest birthday for me with Tristan. That's when he officially, in my eyes, became a little boy; no longer a baby. I cried and cried when he turned four. I LOVE this age. He's so helpful, sweet, and grown up. It's just happened so fast.
As for your mother-in-law, I am so sorry for your family's loss. I can only imagine how it must feel to lose someone so close to your lives, someone your kiddos adored. Channing's mom and dad are SO important to both my boys (my parents are too, they just see the Kings more), and I can't imagine losing one of them. They are such blessings. I'll pray for you guys.

have a great b'day party this weekend!

LeAnne said...

Happy Birthday to Elizabeth!!! Annie is right, 4 is a great age...but it was a hard one for mommy!! How in the world did he get so big so fast...it seemed like he was just born. It just doesn't seem fair that they are little for such a short time but it definitely is fun to watch them grow into independent "little people"!

I am so sorry for your loss...i will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to cope with your own loss much less the loss your children feel.

Can't wait to see the pictures...have a fabulous birthday party!!!

Donna said...

I'm so sorry- I hadn't heard about you losing your mother-in-law. That is so hard. I can't believe Elizabeth said that- how precious that she loved her so much. Four is a great age- it really is the turning point behavior-wise. Happy Birthday sweet girl! Can't wait to see the pics!